Prussian Landwehr (3)

Cracked on with the Landwehr at the weekend, finished the officer and have almost finished the drummer. Painting the tiny prussian cockade on the front of the landwehr cap was fun, and I didn't attempt it until my eyes came online! A tip i'd say is to let your eyes become accustomed to the session for a while before painting any fiddly detail. Then I found there was a bit of casting missing from the bottom of the drum as I started to paint it. It's not too bad and he'll live. You can't really pick out these things after you've undercoated with black, no matter how much you try to adjust your eyes!

White trousers were painted first with Foundry Granite C, then the Arctic Grey Triad. I added my mud mix to the drummer too. This is a wash using Foundry Granite A and Spearshaft B, followed by a 'stippling' of pure Granite A. Trying not to overdo the mud effect though, so some guys will have a spash and some wont. Thanks to Blogger Martin (befreiungskriege.wordpress.com) for helping out with drum colour issues. There's now another batch of 4 more basecoated Landwehr ready to start on. Am trying to finish off my Dutch Militia Battalion at the same time...

Comments

Martin said…
Now they're looking good! Glad the drum info was useful. I've obviously got some catching up to do with my Kurmarkers!

I know what you mean about painting the cockades. I tend to do details like that straight after the black primer so that it's easy to correct without spilling over on to other finished areas. I also find it easier to paint up to a fine line rather than try to paint that fine line in place later.