Thursday, 24 April 2008
French Lancer, 1870-71
Been working on some of my French lancers. I've found Its difficult to get lots of resource materials for the french cavalry of th Franco-Prussian war. I have the Ospreys on the subject, but they tend to be a tad vague. I know the czapka was replaced by the kepi during the republican phase of the war, and this figure is wearing the 1868 regulation tunic (the earlier kurta had the traditional plastron) though many units wore the earlier tunic. Making lances for these guys at the moment, so he's not quite finished. Experimenting with horses too, I used to be an advocate of the oil paint wipe off method, here I have used ink washes and some shading. I'm going to keep trying different styles with them I think.